Friday, August 16, 2019
Moody Gardens Convention Center, Expo B&C (Off Campus)
Seven Hope Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77554
Commencement Day Schedule
Guest Schedule for Commencement Day
- 1:15 pm Doors open, Moody Gardens Expo B
- 2:00 pm Commencement ceremony begins
- 5:00 pm Ceremony ends (estimated - approximately 2 - 2.5 hours)
Event Day Parking
Parking is available in the Moody Gardens Convention Center Parking Garage and surrounding lots as directed. Follow the directional signs upon entering the Moody Gardens property complex to the Convention Center Parking Garage.
Download & Print: Moody Gardens Parking Map
Arrival and Seating
There is no limit on the number of guests and tickets are not required for guests and they are seated on a first-come first-serve basis. Doors will open at 1:15 pm. Large groups may want to arrive earlier to find seats together. Saved seats will be released 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the procession and will be enforced by UTMB Police, Security and ushers. Doors will close if maximum capacity is reached. This decision is made by the Fire Marshall. For security purposes, the auditorium doors will remain locked between rehearsal and the ceremony.
A room block for overnight accommodations for families and guests is available at the Moody Gardens Hotel and Conference Center. Please reserve your room by contacting the reservations department below and specify you are with the UTMB School of Health Professions Commencement.
- Rates - $179 (ask for UTMB School of Health Professions Commencement rate)
- Reservations - Must be made by July 25, 2019
- Location - One Hope Boulevard; Galveston, Texas 77554
- Phone - 409-741-8484
- Toll Free - 888-388-8484
ADA Accommodations - Persons with Disabilities
UTMB's School of Health Professions (SHP) strives to ensure that all graduates and guests can participate fully in this program. Therefore, any graduates, family members or guests, who require ADA accommodations, are welcome. Graduates and/or family members are encouraged to submit ADA related accommodations at least 2 weeks prior to the commencement ceremony date.
ADA related accommodations are inclusive of but not limited to the following:
- Wheelchair and/or Motorized Scooter space/or seating
- Walkers/Canes seating
- Sign language interpretation
- Other accommodations, as requested
Advanced arrangements must be made to confirm early admittance.
- One family member is permitted to sit with each person requiring seating for mobility-impaired. Other family members and friends may sit in the general assembly in the surrounding areas.
- We will make every effort to accommodate parents and guests without advance accessible seating requests on the day of Commencement, however accessible seating is limited, and advanced planning is highly recommended.
Wheelchairs and other mobility devices
UTMB does not provide mobility devices to individual guests or employees specifically for commencement. If you do not have a personal mobility device that you can bring with you, you may rent one. Local wheelchair rental agencies include:
- Moody Gardens - Wheelchair rentals are available on a first come first serve basis.
- Coastal Medical - 2902 Avenue R ½, Galveston, TX 77550; 409-621-1167
Submit accommodation requests to: Michelle Conley at email@example.com.
When you email your request, please include the name of the guest who needs the ADA related accommodation, the specific accommodation need (i.e.: wheelchair seating, walker seating, sign language interpretation etc.) and the guest name of who will accompany them. We cannot guarantee specific location requests.
Other Important Information
UTMB Photography will be capturing your commencement photos. Every student will be photographed as they receive their diploma as well as a second “portrait” taken as they depart the stage. All proofs will be available online at PartyPics.com a few days after the ceremony by using the following password: shp0819
Flower Orders & Diploma Frames
Flower bouquets will be available for sale on the day of graduation day. Please find the flower booth outside the entrance to the Moody Gardens Convention Center. Pre-orders for bouquets are accepted at the following website: https://www.thecommencementgroup.com/utmbhealthprofessions
All pre-orders can be picked up at our kiosk on graduation day. Cash & Credit Card accepted. Prices range from $25-$35.
Diploma frames and other graduation mementos will be available at the UTMB Campus Store booth inside Lobby A of the Convention Center. Please see a selection of diploma frames at the UTMB Campus Store.
Future Commencement Dates
- Friday, August 21, 2020
- Friday, August 20, 2021
- Friday, August 12, 2022
- Friday, August 11, 2023