School of Health Professions
New Student Orientation
The School of Health Professions welcomes and congratulates you on your admission to the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston.
New Student Orientation (NSO) is a program aimed at providing you with an introduction to life on campus, in the classroom, and at UTMB. All new students are required to participate in NSO either onsite or if you are a distance student, the online orientation program. A companion Proud Parent program is available for parents that will be traveling to Galveston with you for NSO.
Welcome Weekend and New Student Orientation are designed to help answer questions you may have, and provide you with information about campus resources, programs and services. You will also get the opportunity to build a network of resources that can help you start your UTMB journey on the right path.
What to expect at orientation
- Information about the University and the school will be provided.
- Key University and school officers will be introduced.
- Special attention will be given to the student’s academic program, including academic advisement.
- Information about various UTMB services will be provided. Representatives of the areas will be introduced, and they will provide information about the services offered.
- Representatives from the Student Health Service will discuss available health services and the health requirements that must be completed prior to registration.
- Students will have the opportunity to meet other new students, as well as faculty and staff in their areas of study.
- Welcome Weekend
Saturday, August 18, 2018
Moody Gardens Convention Center
* hosted by Student Life
- UTMB Annual Proud Parents Welcome Event
Saturday, August 18, 2018
Galveston Island Convention Center
* Sponsored by the Office of the Provost - This event is for parents of incoming UTMB students only
- All Schools Orientation Day
Monday, August 20, 2018
William C. Levin Hall, UTMB Campus
Download: Orientation Schedule
- August 20 - 24, 2018
- Attendance for All Schools Orientation and School of Health Professions orientation events is mandatory for incoming SHP campus students unless excused in writing by your Department Chair.
- Online/Distance students should check with their individual departments to verify what events they are required to attend.
- First day of Class
2018 - 2019 Fall Academic Year
Monday, August 27, 2018
Staying informed with Social Media
The SHP Office of Academic and Student Affairs is committed to making the best use of all available technology and innovation. This includes using social media to improve communication and interaction with the students we serve. We are working towards minimizing the amount of emails students, faculty, and staff receive from our office. To meet that goal, we limit email announcements of non-essential and/or non-emergency content and use social media as another tool of communication.
To stay informed, follow us on the following social media forums
UTMB School of Health Professions
UTMB Office of Student Life
We have created a Facebook event for orientation: https://www.facebook.com/events/388377884985315/
Become a fan and start posting some new student discussions and make new friends before you arrive!