Department of Occupational Therapy
School of Health Professions
University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
301 University Blvd.
Galveston, Texas 77555-1142
Academic Fieldwork Coordinator
Loree Pryor, OTD, OTR
Information for Students
Information for Clinical Educators
Introduction To Field Work
The American Occupational Therapy Association requires Level I, Level II, and Capstone Experiential fieldwork as part of an accredited occupational therapy program. Also students may be required by some facilities to undergo a criminal background check before interning at their sites.
1st Year - Spring
Level I Fieldwork Physical Disabilities
1st Year - Summer
Level I Fieldwork Neurological Practice
2nd Year - Fall
Level I Fieldwork Mental Health & Cognitive Practice
2nd Year - Spring
Level I Fieldwork Pediatric Practice
2nd Year - Summer
Level I Fieldwork Community Practice
- The Academic Fieldwork Coordinator (AFWC) assigns Level I placements. Although location of residence is taken into consideration, students may have to commute to a nearby city for Level I fieldwork.
- Students will complete a demographic survey to provide the fieldwork coordinator with information about residence and areas of special interest.
3rd Year - Fall
Level II Fieldwork Rotation #1 September to December
3rd Year - Spring
Level II Fieldwork Rotation #2 January to March
3rd Year - Spring/Summer
Capstone Experiential April to July
Types of Rotations
Fieldwork sites are located across the state of Texas, and students are responsible for relocation and living expenses while on Fieldwork.
Students are not assigned to a site where they:
- worked in another capacity, such as an aide, tech, direct care, etc.
- did volunteer work, including pre-admission experiences
- have relatives on staff, either in OT or in other health care professions at the same facility
- have signed a post-graduation employment contract
- are negotiating employment
Selection of Fieldwork Sites
Students receive a list of available sites for Level II fieldwork in the fall of the 2nd year. From this list, students indicate 5 choices in priority for each fieldwork.