Academics & Accreditation
The physical therapy curriculum provides learning experiences to assist students in developing competencies and attitudes in order to:
- Accept responsibility as health professionals.
- Participate in and contribute to the profession through active involvement and scholarship.
- Practice in an ethical and legal manner.
- Assess patients/clients from any age, gender, or cultural group at any stage of the health care continuum; treat or refer them as appropriate.
- Plan, implement, and modify a treatment program as needed to insure a safe and effective outcome.
- Plan, design, and participate in programs of prevention and health promotion.
- Participate in personal/professional growth and development throughout their careers.
- Identify and prioritize problems and take appropriate action toward resolution.
- Utilize sound management and business practices in the marketing and provision of physical therapy services.
- Collaborate with other health professionals, regulators, and payers to optimize the delivery of health care services.
Graduation Pass Rates
Affiliated Residency Programs
The UTMB Department of Physical Therapy in the School of Health Professions provides the education and support that lead students to succeed in the health care industry. For post-graduates, our department collaborates with Memorial Hermann and other UTMB departments to provide the following residency programs:
- Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency Program
- TIRR Memorial Hermann Neurologic Physical Therapy Program
The Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) is an accrediting agency that is nationally recognized by the US Department of Education (USDE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). CAPTE grants specialized accreditation status to qualified entry-level education programs for physical therapists and physical therapist assistants.
The Doctor of Physical Therapy program at the University of Texas Medical Branch is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE).
For verification, you may contact the Commission at the following address:
Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education
1111 North Fairfax Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314