PTA to DPT Bridge Program
Note: In order to comply with the new CAPTE criteria the Bridge PTA to DPT curriculum has recently been updated to increase clinical rotation hours from 20 to 30 weeks. This change extends the program from six semesters to seven semesters.
The hybrid-based PTA to DPT Bridge Program is designed for Physical Therapist Assistants who are able to work a maximum of 20 hours per week while enrolled in the program. Students must already have a Bachelor's degree and a current Physical Therapist Assistant license with two years of experience in addition to 44 semester hours of prerequisites required for admission before entering the program.
Note: Please be advised that we are in the process of changing Clinical Rotations to comply with new CAPTE criteria.
Note: scroll left to view full table on mobile devices.
|Summer I||PHYT 6184||Bridge Clinically Applied Neuroanatomy / Lab||1|
|Summer I||PHYT 6185||Bridge History & Systems Review / Lab||1|
|Summer I||PHYT 6250||Bridge Development Through the Life Span / Lab||2|
|Summer I||PHYT 6251||Bridge Professional Issues||2|
|Summer I||PHYT 6350||Bridge Competencies in Physical Therapy / Lab||3|
|Summer I||PHYT 6352||Bridge Neuroscience||3|
|Fall I||PHYT 6252||Bridge Evidenced-Based Practice||2|
|Fall I||PHYT 6253||Bridge Pharmacology||2|
|Fall I||PHYT 6260||Bridge Integument / Lab||2|
|Fall I||PHYT 6206||Bridge Human Anatomy / Lab||2|
|Fall I||PHYT 6353||Bridge Movement Science I / Lab||3|
|Fall I||PHYT 6354||Bridge Clinical Pathology||3|
|Spring I||PHYT 6254||Bridge Medical Diagnostics||2|
|Spring I||PHYT 6256||Bridge Clinical Reasoning I||2|
|Spring I||PHYT 6356||Bridge Movement Science II / Lab||3|
|Spring I||PHYT 6363||Bridge Cardiovascular and Pulmonary PT / Lab||3|
|Spring I||PHYT 6461||Bridge Diagnosis and Management of Spine Dysfunction / Lab||4|
|Summer II||PHYT 6257||Bridge Diagnosis and Management of Musculoskeletal LE Dysfunction / Lab||2|
|Summer II||PHYT 6364||Bridge Rehabilitation Technology / Lab||3|
|Summer II||PHYT 6365||Bridge Neurotherapeutics I Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) / Lab||3|
|Summer II||PHYT 6483||Bridge Clinical Education PT Experience I (7 Weeks)||4|
|Fall II||PHYT 6261||Bridge Differential Diagnosis||2|
|Fall II||PHYT 6266||Bridge Clinical Reasoning II||2|
|Fall II||PHYT 6264||Bridge Diagnosis and Management of Musculoskeletal Upper Extremity Dysfunction||2|
|Fall II||PHYT 6287||Bridge Neurotherapeutics II Progressive Neurological Diseases||2|
|Fall II||PHYT 6484||Bridge Clinical Education PT Experience II (8 weeks)||4|
|Spring II||PHYT 6367||Bridge Diagnosis and Management of Developmental Dysfunctions / Lab||3|
|Spring II||PHYT 6369||Bridge Management of Medically Complex Patients||3|
|Spring II||PHYT 6389||Bridge Neurotherapeutics III Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) / Lab||3|
|Spring II||PHYT 6485||Bridge Clinical Education PT Experience III (7 weeks)||4|
|Summer III||PHYT 6258||Bridge Health Care Systems||2|
|Summer III||PHYT 6259||Bridge Psychosocial Factors in Disability||2|
|Summer III||PHYT 6291||Bridge Evidence Based Practice Application||2|
|Summer III||PHYT 6486||Bridge Clinical Education PT Experience IV (8 weeks)||4|
Total Degree Plan Credits: 94 credits
(Professional: 87 credit hours / Advanced Standing: 7 credit hours)
- This program has 30 weeks of clinical rotations.
- Advanced standing is granted based upon the pre-required minimum 2 years of licensed experience.
Application Deadline: November 1
To be considered for admission to the PTA to DPT Bridge program, applicants must present official documentation of the following student competencies:
- Overall Minimum: 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- PTA Program: 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Math/Science: 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- All GRE scores, transcripts, recommendations, and student profile information must be submitted to the Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (PTCAS), even if you are a re-applicant or have already sent the score directly to UTMB. Your name must match exactly on both the GRE and PTCAS application.
- GRE scores must be sent using code 3775.
- Bachelor's degree and all prerequisite courses completed by December 31 of the year in which you submit your application
- Current Physical Therapist Assistant license. Must have graduated from a CAPTE accredited PTA Program.
- A minimum of two (2) years of work experience as a Physical Therapist Assistant. Work experience must be completed by January of the year in which you wish to gain the PTA to DPT Bridge Program.
- Transcripts from every college attended. Transcripts must be sent directly from each university to PTCAS.
- Valid GRE Scores - up to five (5) years from date taken
- Submission of three (3) references with email addresses from online recommendations. One reference must be a PT who supervised your work experience. One references must be a PTA educator who taught you in your PTA program
- Email completed Student Profile Sheet to Donna Swanson at email@example.com.
- Paid appropriate fees to PTCAS and UTMB
Total Credit Hours: 44
These are the prerequisite courses required of PTA to DPT Bridge applicants:
Note: Bridge applicants must complete 44 hours of the following prerequisite courses with a grade of C or better. Class numbers are a guide only based on Texas Number system. It is not all inclusive. Numbering may vary school to school.
|General Chemistry for Science Majors with lab
CHEM 1411 & 1412
|College or University Physics with lab
PHYS 1401 & 1402 or above
|Biology for Science Majors with lab
BIOL 1406 & 1407
|Anatomy for Science Majors with lab *
Comparative Anatomy or Zoology
|Physiology with lab **||4|
|College Algebra, Trigonometry, or Calculus
|Developmental Psychology ****
PSYC 2314 / 2312
* Anatomy for Science Majors - must be an upper level course. Anatomy & Physiology I and II will not satisfy this prerequisite.
** Physiology with lab - May be a Vertebrate, Chordate, Comparative or Human Physiology course. Must include lab. Must be a course for science majors. Anatomy & Physiology I and II can be used to meet this requirement.
*** Statistics - Upper level psychology, sociology or education based is preferred. Must include ANOVA (Analysis of Variance)
**** Developmental Psychology - Abnormal Psychology will not count.
- Complete and submit your PTCAS application. Note: Your application will be considered incomplete if there is missing information, including GRE scores, and/or documentation by the published deadlines, and will not be processed due to the volume of applications received.
- Complete and submit your supplemental application once UTMB Enrollment Services receives and processes your PTCAS application. Applicants will also need to send payment. Once both are received, applicants will be given a UTMB ID number for access to MyStar.
- The UTMB Department of Physical Therapy will notify all applicants via email when their applications have been received and when the admissions decision has been made. Please allow several weeks for processing.
- UTMB has a rolling admissions process; therefore, your application is open until you hear from us with a final decision. If you do not hear from us by December 1, please contact us 409-772-3068 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about the status of your application.