Carolyn J. Utsey, PhD, PT
Professor and Chair
Curriculum Vitae Influuent Research ProfileResearchGate
301 University Blvd.
Galveston, TX 77555-1144
Teaching Areas of Interest
Pelvic Health, Motivational Beliefs and Teaching/Learning Strategies, Global Health, and Community and International Service-Learning
Women's Health, Education
Carolyn J. Utsey, PhD, PT, is a Professor (tenure) and the Chair of the Department of Physical Therapy in the School of Health Professions (SHP). She received her Bachelor of Science from Baylor University, a certificate in PT from UT Southwestern School of Allied Health Sciences, and her Doctor of Philosophy in Educational Psychology and Individual Differences from the University of Houston.
Dr. Utsey joined the SHP Department of Physical Therapy in 1990 and became chair in 2008. She is a member of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) and the Texas Physical Therapy Association (TPTA). Dr. Utsey has also served on multiple committees for UTMB, APTA, and TPTA.
Grants & Funding
- 2017 - 2019
- Source: Texas Higher Education Coord Board (THECB)
- Study: Developing Interprofessional Clinical Education Partnerships in Medically Underserved Areas of Texas
- Role: Principal Investigator
- Lephart, K., Utsey, C., Wild, D., Fisher, SR. Estimating energy expenditure for different assistive devices in the school setting: a case report. Pediatr Phys Ther. 26(3):354-9, 2014.
- Luedke-Hoffmann, K., Dillon, L., Utsey, C., Tomaka, J. Is there a relationship between performance during Physical Therapist clinical education and scores on the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE)? Journal of Physical Therapy Education. 26(2), 2012.
- Gleeson, P., Utsey, C. An examination of observation hours used as an admission criterion for the Physical Therapy Programs in Texas. Journal of Physical Therapy Education, 17(1), 2003.
- Utsey, C., Graham, C. Investigation of interdisciplinary learning by physical therapy students during a community-based medical mission trip. Journal of Physical Therapy Education, 15(1) 2001.
- Haber, D., Looney, C., Babola, K., Hinman, M., Utsey, CJ. Impact of a health promotion course on inactive, overweight, or physically limited older adults. Family & Community Health, 22(4):48-56, 2000.
Note: A complete list of all publications can be found on the abbreviated CV.