Keep this window open as detailed instructions and screenshots are found below.
All entering students must undergo a security background check prior to matriculation. After you have been offered acceptance and no more than 60 days prior to your enrollment into any of the UTMB School of Health Professions Programs, please go to the Newly Admitted Students site. Only if you are directed back to this page to order your background check should new students purchase a report. Please be advised, if you order earlier than the date listed on the Newly Admitted website, you will need to order and pay for another report within the specified window of time. Once you order, a copy will be returned to you, as well as the Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs. In some instances, Sterling may contact you via email, so be certain you add Sterling to your safe sender list (instructions highlighted below). Failure to respond to any requests from Sterling will delay your background check report, and could affect the start of your classes.
Please note: Check your email spam folder or add Sterling (previously known as Acxiom & Sterling) to your safe sender list. View instructions to add Sterling to your safe sender list.
If you no longer have the background check report that was sent to you when you ordered the report, you have the option of requesting another copy directly from the vendor if you ordered the report within the last 30 days. If it has been more than 30 days since your last order, you will need to purchase a new report by clicking on the link below.
All Students Use This Link
The Partner Code to use is: UTMB9328
You will be able to request, authorize, and pay for background checks with a credit card. You will receive a copy of your report in approximately five business days.
How Do I Get Started with Sterling?
- Each student must set up an online account with Sterling through the contractor web site. Log on to the internet web address: https://smwreports.sterlingdirect.com/consumer/contractor.asp
- The first time you visit the main web page, you will enter the partner code: UTMB9328
- Skip past the login and password fields. Click on "I am a New User"
Setting up an Account with Sterling:
- Complete the required profile setup information. Where it asks for "Business Name" and "Company ID" you will need to just re-enter your name again.
- Select which method you wish to have the results of the background checks returned to you (by email or fax. Only one method may be selected.) If you select email, then put all 9's (9999999999) in the fax number field.
- Next, choose a login and password. This will allow you access to the website after your initial registration to submit additional background check requests.
- Review and accept the Liability Agreement and the Adverse Action Instructions.
- Under federal law (Fair Credit Reporting Act), it is required that employers provide notification to their employees before a background check (or consumer report) is requested. In addition, the law requires that written authorization and consent be obtained from each individual prior to the requesting of any consumer report. A sample release/authorization form is enclosed.
Ordering a Background Check:
- After completing the registration process, a screen showing "backgrounds requested" will appear. On the right side margin, you will need to select "order a background report."
- You will then see the screen below:
- First time users select the first option (Accepted Students) unless your instructor tells you otherwise. This will request a standard background check.
- Then click "submit" at the bottom right-hand side of screen.
Payment for Background Checks:
- Payment via major credit card is required at the time of the background request. The fee for the required checks is $39.97 Please note: *Additional charges may be incurred by the student for certain state/government requirements. *Additional charge of $65.00 for New York OCA/Statewide or $17.00 for Puerto Rico.
- A confirmation report screen will appear, showing the individual's name and summary of charges. Click on "submit" at the bottom right-hand side of screen.
- If you do not have a social security number, please email our office for further instructions. Click here to email us.
- After the you select your background check report choice and click the 'Submit' button, a billing and payment information screen will appear. You must complete the required information fields to proceed.
- Click on submit at the bottom right-hand side of the screen.
- You will receive immediate payment approval and confirmation.
Background Check Results:
Average turnaround time for processing and completing background checks is 7-10 business days.
Under federal law, any individual who fails the background check must be provided with a copy of the report, along with a Summary of Rights under the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) and Sterling's toll-free telephone number and address. This is required should the individual wish to dispute or question information contained in the background check report.
For problems with this website, please click here.