School of Health Professions
New Student Orientation
The School of Health Professions welcomes and congratulates you on your admission to the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston.
New Student Orientation (NSO) is a program aimed at providing you with an introduction to life on campus, in the classroom, and at UTMB. All new students are required to participate in NSO either onsite or if you are a distance student, the online orientation program. A companion Proud Parent program is available for parents that will be traveling to Galveston with you for NSO.
New Student Orientation is designed to help answer questions you may have, and provide you with information about campus resources, programs and services. You will also get the opportunity to build a network of resources that can help you start your UTMB journey on the right path.
What to expect at orientation
- Information about the University and the school will be provided.
- Key University and school officers will be introduced.
- Special attention will be given to the student’s academic program, including academic advisement.
- Information about various UTMB services will be provided. Representatives of the areas will be introduced, and they will provide information about the services offered.
- Representatives from the Student Health Service will discuss available health services and the health requirements that must be completed prior to registration.
- Students will have the opportunity to meet other new students, as well as faculty and staff in their areas of study.
- 2019 Proud Parent Welcome Session
An informative event showcasing the student experience at UTMB. Hosted by the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations
Saturday, August 24, 2019
Galveston Island Convention Center, Grand Ballroom 2nd Floor
5600 Seawall Boulevard
- 9:00 am - Check-In
- 10:00 am - 1:00 pm - Breakfast and Presentations
- 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm - UTMB Campus Tours
- 2019 All Schools Orientation Day
Monday, August 26, 2019
9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Levin Hall, UTMB Campus
- 2019 Welcome Back Week - Hosted by Student Life
September 16 - 20, 2019
Download: Orientation Schedule
- August 26 - 30, 2019
- Attendance for All Schools Orientation and School of Health Professions orientation events is mandatory for incoming SHP campus students unless excused in writing by your Department Chair.
- Online/Distance students should check with their individual departments to verify what events they are required to attend.
- First Day of Class
2019 Fall Semester
Tuesday, September 3, 2019
Shuttle Parking for Orientation Week
It is important that incoming students park in our assigned lot as this helps facilitate the numbers of cars each lot will hold. Shuttles will then take students from the parking lot to your drop off location.
Some curbside parking on campus is reserved for students who have purchased a student parking hang tag in advance. Parking in the neighborhoods surrounding the UTMB Campus, as well as some spots located on city streets within campus, are restricted via the City of Galveston regulations. Regardless of where you park, please take notice of the signs whether posted by UTMB or the City of Galveston to avoid any frustration or parking citations.
It is highly recommended that students who do not have student parking secured utilize the shuttle lot to avoid parking tickets.
Note: this lot is reserved for new students during orientation week only.
You can find out more about securing a parking spot on campus prior to orientation by visiting the links below
Staying informed with Social Media
The SHP Office of Academic and Student Affairs is committed to making the best use of all available technology and innovation. This includes using social media to improve communication and interaction with the students we serve. We are working towards minimizing the amount of emails students, faculty, and staff receive from our office. To meet that goal, we limit email announcements of non-essential and/or non-emergency content and use social media as another tool of communication.
To stay informed, follow us on the following social media forums
UTMB School of Health Professions
We have created a Facebook event for orientation: https://www.facebook.com/events/743648172723205/15/
Become a fan and start posting some new student discussions and make new friends before you arrive!
UTMB Office of Student Life
New Student Housing & Roomate Forum
Students have asked for an online platform to find housing opportunities in Galveston, and Student Life listened! We created a Student Housing & Roommate Forum for UTMB students seeking roommates and/or housing. It will act as an online bulletin board for students to connect with each other, as well as find housing opportunities posted by the Galveston community. Feel free to join, post, and share with anyone that you think might benefit from the group.
Join the Student Housing & Roommate Forum Facebook Group today!