301 University Blvd.
Galveston, TX 77555-1124
Teaching Areas of Interest
Physical activity interventions, cancer survivorship, technology, video games, mobile devices
Elizabeth Lyons, PhD, MPH, is an Associate Professor in the Department of Nutrition in the Department of Nutrition & Metabolism in the School of Health Professions (SHP) at the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB). She is also the Grace Bucksch Gnitzinger Distinguished Professor in Aging and a fellow of the Sealy Center on Aging. Dr. Lyons received a Bachelor of Arts in English and Psychology from the University of Texas at Austin, a Master of Public Health in Health Behavior and Health Education from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and a Doctor of Philosophy degree in Health Behavior and Health Education from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Dr. Lyons is also a behavioral researcher with an interest in creating interventions to improve cancer prevention and control by changing weight-related behaviors. She is particularly interested in using technology to increase motivation for physical activity among sedentary older adults and breast cancer survivors.
- Lyons EJ, Swartz MC*, Lewis ZH*, Martinez E, Jennings K. Feasibility and acceptability of a wearable technology mobile physical activity intervention with telephone counseling for midaged and older adults: a randomized controlled pilot trial. JMIR mhealth uhealth. 2017 Mar 6;5(3):e28. PMID: 28264796. PMCID: PMC5359416.
- Lyons EJ, Baranowski T, Basen-Engquist KM, Lewis ZH*, Swartz MC*, Jennings K, Volpi E. Testing the effects of narrative and play on physical activity among breast cancer survivors: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. BMC Cancer. 2016 Mar 9;16:202. PMID: 26960972; PMCID: PMC4784467
- Lyons EJ, Lewis ZH*, Mayrsohn BG, Rowland JL. Behavior change techniques implemented in electronic lifestyle activity monitors: a systematic content analysis. J Med Internet Res. 2014 Aug 15;16(8):e192. Available at: http://www.jmir.org/2014/8/e192/ PMID: 25131661; PMCID: PMC4147713
- Lyons EJ, Tate DF, Ward DS, Bowling JM, Ribisl KR, Kalyanaraman S. Engagement, enjoyment, and energy expenditure during active video game play. Health Psychol. 2014 Feb;33(2):174-181. PMID: 23527520; PMCID: PMC4100462.
- Lyons EJ, Tate DF, Ward DS, Wang X. Energy intake and expenditure during sedentary screen time and motion-controlled video gaming. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012 Aug;96(2):234-239. PMID: 22760571; PMCID: PMC3396440
Note: A complete list of all publications can be found on the abbreviated CV.