Elizabeth Lyons, PhD, MPH
Curriculum Vitae Influuent Research Profile PubMed Google Scholar ResearchGate
301 University Blvd.
Galveston, TX 77555-1124
Teaching Areas of Interest
Physical activity interventions, cancer survivorship, technology, video games, mobile devices
Elizabeth Lyons, PhD, MPH, is an Associate Professor in the Department of Nutrition & Metabolism in the School of Health Professions (SHP) at the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB). Dr. Lyons received a Bachelor of Arts in English and Psychology from the University of Texas at Austin, a Master of Public Health in Health Behavior and Health Education from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and a Doctor of Philosophy degree in Health Behavior and Health Education from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Dr. Lyons is also a behavioral researcher with an interest in creating interventions to improve cancer prevention and control by changing weight-related behaviors. She is particularly interested in using technology to increase motivation for physical activity among sedentary older adults and breast cancer survivors.
- Lyons EJ, Swartz MC*, Lewis ZH*, Martinez E, Jennings K. Feasibility and acceptability of a wearable technology mobile physical activity intervention with telephone counseling for midaged and older adults: a randomized controlled pilot trial. JMIR mhealth uhealth. 2017 Mar 6;5(3):e28. PMID: 28264796. PMCID: PMC5359416.
- Lyons EJ, Baranowski T, Basen-Engquist KM, Lewis ZH*, Swartz MC*, Jennings K, Volpi E. Testing the effects of narrative and play on physical activity among breast cancer survivors: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. BMC Cancer. 2016 Mar 9;16:202. PMID: 26960972; PMCID: PMC4784467
- Lyons EJ, Lewis ZH*, Mayrsohn BG, Rowland JL. Behavior change techniques implemented in electronic lifestyle activity monitors: a systematic content analysis. J Med Internet Res. 2014 Aug 15;16(8):e192. Available at: http://www.jmir.org/2014/8/e192/ PMID: 25131661; PMCID: PMC4147713
- Lyons EJ, Tate DF, Ward DS, Bowling JM, Ribisl KR, Kalyanaraman S. Engagement, enjoyment, and energy expenditure during active video game play. Health Psychol. 2014 Feb;33(2):174-181. PMID: 23527520; PMCID: PMC4100462.
- Lyons EJ, Tate DF, Ward DS, Wang X. Energy intake and expenditure during sedentary screen time and motion-controlled video gaming. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012 Aug;96(2):234-239. PMID: 22760571; PMCID: PMC3396440
Note: A complete list of all publications can be found on the abbreviated CV.